I want to make machine learning systems more robust and reliable. I am interested in how interaction with humans can help ensure that a system has learned the correct objective or behavior.
I am a 1st-year PhD student at Berkeley advised by Anca Dragan and Moritz Hardt. In Summer 2017 I was a research intern at OpenAI. I am a part of the Berkeley Artificial Intelligence Research Lab and the Center for Human-Compatible AI .
I introspect a lot on my own styles of thinking and productivity (aim -> phronesis). Here is some collected research advice. I like books (history, philosophy, econ, Haruki Murakami, children’s books with deep themes, …), art, music, and performances (improv, plays, poetry slams, storytelling, stand-up comedy, …).
If you want to chat, shoot me an email at smitha dot milli at gmail dot com.
people providing me validation
- NSF GRFP Recipient
- Berkeley EECS Excellence Award
- CRA Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher Award.
- My parents
- Spring 2017. Teaching Assistant. CS 188: Artificial Intelligence
- Fall 2016. Teaching Assistant. CS 189/289: Machine Learning
- Spring 2016. Teaching Assistant. CS 70: Discrete Math & Probability
- Fall 2015. Co-taught the decal (student-run class) CS 98: Practical Programming.
Reliable Machine Learning in the Wild. ICML 2017. website